St. Paul's History
St. Paul's Episcopal Church is probably the oldest organized congregation in its original church building dated back from 1858. The wife of Marion's town, founder, Eber Baker petitioned Bishops McIlvaine to establish a permanent house of worship in Marion.
St. Paul's simple but impressive interior features, beautiful Gothic stained glass windows and carved arches, colonial inspired wall sconces, and an elaborate mechanically operated organ designed by Marion native, David Sifritt in 1992
St. Paul's has provided many outreach program for the Marion community for many years; such as starting the Marion shelter, providing a place for AAA to meet and created one of the largest food pantries currently operating in Marion at this time.
Underground Railroad Stop
The Baker family had strong ties to the Underground Railroad, and St. Paul's is located on one of the Underground pathways throughout central Ohio. It is suspected that the trap door located to the right of the tower door in the Narthex us a probable hiding place for underground "travelers". This trap door was uncovered during a 1986 interior renovation.