History of Coventry Parish
Coventry Parish began in the mid 1600's under the leadership of Rev. Thomas Teackle on the banks of the Pocomoke River in Rehobeth, Maryland. It was here that an early church was built. Later, in 1735, funded by a county levy of 42,280 pounds of tobacco, a new church was built over the original foundation. The first truly American Bishop, the Right Rev. Thomas Claggett, consecrated the church in 1803. Destroyed by fire in 1911, only the brick walls remain.
In 1848, under the direction of the Rev. John Crosdale, St. Paul's Marion was built, consecrated and opened it's doors for worship. St Paul's, pictured on the right, is the last active church in Coventry Parish.